Finally ordered the book! I haven’t made any of the food items yet, but am excited to try all the recipes. I just love the uber healthy ingredients and beautiful photos in this book! I will say, today I made the Spiced Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk from the website. It smells amazing & I can’t wait to try it!
Recipe from Sprouted Kitchen below.
SPICED LENTIL SOUP WITH COCONUT MILK / Serves 6
The recipe calls for green lentils. I used a mixture because I have a large amount of them and they worked just fine. Split or red lentils will likely get too mushy here. I used 4 cups broth because I like my soups on the stewy side, if you prefer more broth to you soup, add another cup or two when cooking the lentils.
• 1 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed (green suggested)
• 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
• 1 1/2 tsp. tumeric OR curry powder
• 2 tsp. dried thyme or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
• 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
• 1 large yellow onion, diced
• 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layer removed, lower portion finely minced
• 1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
• 1/2 tsp. cardamom
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon pinch of red pepper flakes to taste
• pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
• 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (use full fat, just believe me)
• 3 Tbsp. lemon, lime or orange juice
• a few handfuls of swiss chard, spinach or kale
• 1 cup flake coconut, toasted (optional)
• chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Add the rinsed lentils, broth, thyme and tumeric or curry powder to a large pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
While the lentils cook, heat the coconut oil in a pan. Add the onion and saute until just browned. Add the lemongrass, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, pinch of red pepper flakes and some fresh ground nutmeg and saute another minute. Add the onion mixture to the lentils and stir, keeping the heat on a low simmer.
Add the coconut milk and greens and simmer another five minutes, stirring occasionally until just wilted. Taste for salt and spice and add as you prefer. Finish with the citrus juice and serve warm with toasted coconut flakes and cilantro on top.